I have an issue. I want to set up a Linux development server on my home PC so everyone who has credentials can log in from anywhere into that machine and write code. What should I do or what should I read to achieve this? So already I have installed X Ubuntu on my PC and that's all.
Welcome to the site! I'll give it a quick shot, since we've all been there before.
If your goal is allowing others to connect to your server...
- OS: Install your operating system.
- Network: Make sure you're connected to the network.
- SSH-Server: Make sure you have your SSH server installed so others can connect to you.
- Users: Learn how to add/delete users.
A little detail on each of those.
- OS: You're using Ubuntu. A good choice, based on Debian.
- Network: Ubuntu uses DHCP to assign you an IP address. If you want to set a static IP address (so it doesn't change), search for "ubuntu static IP address."
- SSH-Server: During an Ubuntu install you should select "SSH server" from the optional install packages. If you missed this and don't want to start over, do
apt-get update, then
apt-get install openssh-server.
- Users: Very easy. On Ubuntu do