I have a vcf file that contains numerous vcards.
When importing the vcf file to outlook it seems to only import the first vcard.
Hence I want to split them up.
Given that a vcard starts with
and ends with
What is the best way to split each vcard into it's own file.
Thanks for all the responses. As with questions of this nature there's various ways to skin a cat. Here's the reasoning why I chose the one I did.
Here's a roundup of what I liked from each answer and what drove me to select one of them.
csplit: I really really liked the conciseness of this method. I just wished it was able to also set the file extension.
gawk: It did everything i asked of it.
paralell: Worked. But I had to install new things. (it also decided to make a new /bin dir in my home dir)
perl: I liked that it created vcf based on contact's name. But the -o option didn't really work
- So the first one to go was
perlbecause it was a bit broken
- Next was
paralellbecause I had to install new things
- Next was
csplit, because as far as I can see it can't create extensions on the output files
- So the award goes to gawk, for being a utility that's readily available, and versatile enough that I can chop and change the file name a bit. Bonus marks for