I'll first describe my situation.
I have a network made by a central x86 server/firewall, 5 access points and 2 unmanaged routers in between.
20 Mbits download and 1 Mbit upload ADSL.
Upload is particularly problematic as a single user uploading an email attachment can slow down the whole network to a crawl.
What I need is some way to divide the upload speed evenly between the connected devices. It would be nice if it adjusted itself automatically, so that
- 5 connected users -> each get 1/5 of the upload bandwidth
- 10 connected users -> each get 1/10 of the upload bandwidth
What I'd like:
- an x86 server distro capable of splitting available bandwidth evenly between connected users
- a GUI tool would be would be perfect
What I'd like to avoid:
- traffic priority based on ports (it's not what I'm aiming for)
- programs to install on each device (I cannot do that)
Remember traffic is coming in from access points, I don't know if they need some special software too in order for this to work. I'd like to just act on the server, if possible.