I recently upgraded to Debian Wheezy (7) and had to upgrade VMWare Player along with that since the version I had didn't like the 3.2 kernel.
However, I notice that the kernel modules aren't starting for VMWare (such as
vmci) and, because of that, the virtual machines complain bitterly when I try to start them.
If I start the modules manually with
modprobe, it works fine, at least until the next boot where they've disappeared again.
It also works fine if I manually run
/etc/init.d/vmware start beforehand, and it's this solution I have as a workaround, starting them from a script before it calls the
I've noticed in the
rcX.d directories (2, 3 and 5) that there is a
K01vmware script but no
Snn ones to be found and I believe this is what's causing it to not start. However, when I create a
Snn link in
rc2.d (and 2 is the correct runlevel for my system according to the
runlevel command returning
N 2), it still doesn't start.
First off, is there any way that a
rc service could run other than via the
S/K scripts in
rcX.d? It appears from my experience that it will never start the service because there's no
Snn link to do so.
Secondly, why would this still not work even when I create a
Snn entry in
The top of the
/etc/init.d/vmware script follows:
#!/usr/bin/env bash # # Copyright 1998-2008 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. # # This script manages the services needed to run VMware software. # ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: vmware # Required-Start: $network $syslog # Required-Stop: $network $syslog # X-Start-Before: # X-Stop-After: # Default-Start: 2 3 4 # Default-Stop: 0 6 # Short-Description: This service starts and stops VMware services ### END INIT INFO
The list of all
rc scripts with
vm in them is:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 20 2012 rc2.d/K01vmware -> ../init.d/vmware lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 May 6 19:09 rc2.d/K01vmware-USBArbitrator -> ../init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 May 6 19:55 rc2.d/S49vmware -> ../init.d/vmware lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 6 16:18 rc2.d/S50vmware-USBArbitrator -> /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 20 2012 rc3.d/K01vmware -> ../init.d/vmware lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 May 6 19:09 rc3.d/K01vmware-USBArbitrator -> ../init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 6 16:18 rc3.d/S50vmware-USBArbitrator -> /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 20 2012 rc5.d/K01vmware -> ../init.d/vmware lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 30 May 6 19:09 rc5.d/K01vmware-USBArbitrator -> ../init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 May 6 16:18 rc5.d/S50vmware-USBArbitrator -> /etc/init.d/vmware-USBArbitrator
rc2.d/S49 one is the one I created which still doesn't work.