I am running Ubuntu 22.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad with Gnome has my desktop. I have xsane 0.999 installed. My Scanner is an HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dw. With xsane I used to be able to scan widths up to slightly wider than 8.5in (the maximum that the HP can accommodate). For a year or more (I don't remember when it started) xsane will only permit a maximum width of 8.267in. If I try to set the width larger in Standard options, it replaces the value I entered with 8.267. I cannot drag the width longer than 8.267 in the Preview window. I do not have access to the Advanced Settings window which is a known bug. With vuescan on the same computer with the same scanner I have access to the full width so I think a scanner issue can be ruled out.
apt update && apt upgradedid not solve the problem
- I connected an Epson Perfection V500 and xsane gave me 8.5in of available width (and my advanced settings window is OK with that scanner too)
- Another user account on my computer has the same problem with HP scanner and same success with Epson.
- vuescan does not have the same problem but xscanimage and simple-scan both do have the same problem.
- On a different computer, also running Ubuntu 22.04, I have exactly the same problem
- I do not have any sane files anywhere in /var/log/
When I run
scanimage -L There are two devices:
device `hpaio:/net/HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M476dw?ip=192.168.0.41' is a Hewlett-Packard HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M476dw all-in-one
device `airscan:w1:HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dw (3DBC02)' is a WSD HP Color LaserJet MFP M476dw (3DBC02) ip=192.168.0.41, 2607:f2c0:ead8:3cf7:9ead:97ff:fe5c:7d9, 2607:f2c0:ead8:3cf7::57f, fdfd:6a08:40d:0:9ead:97ff:fe5c:7d9, fdfd:6a08:40d::57f
When I use the hpaio device I have access to all 8.5in but when I use the airscan device I do not.
- is this a known bug with airscan?
- How can I get rid of the airscan device?
- how can I troubleshoot the cause of this and provide more and better diagnostic information?