I'm out of space for my /home partition. I would like to use other directory to store some big files and videos. Is there directory that I can use? I think of /usr/myowndir or /mnt/myowndir. But I don't have permission to write in /usr or /mnt dir.

Is there a way to make new directory in /usr or /mnt then set the permission to writeable by non sudo user?

  • extend /home partition and filesystem Nov 11, 2022 at 16:34

1 Answer 1


You need to be root to make a subdirectory of /usr and root can also set the ownership/permissions of any directory there (or anywhere else) to something that will allow you to use it as your normal user.

  • After I try create folder /mnt/storage, I change permission using sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/storage (but still not writeable). Then I change ower using chown and it work.
    – moanrisy
    Nov 11, 2022 at 16:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .