I have an updated debian 11 (bullseye) setup and want to use avahi to connect to locally connected computers.

avahi works, for example:

avahi-resolve -n4 prag11mono.local 

gives prag11mono.local which is correct. however, ping (or ssh) for the same host

ping prag11mono.local
PING prag11mono.local.rpz.GS.local ( 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ( icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.035 ms

here I do not understand where the rpz.GS.local addition comes from. It is not added to ssh prag11mono.local, but the request goes to as well.

In /etc/nsswitch.conf I have

hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

but getent hosts bhutan.local

returns nothing. I have no /etc/mdns.allow file.

What makes the connection between avahi-daeomon and mdns4? I can restart the avahi-daemon with systemctl; how to resart mdns?

I fear that I miss some installation. I tried to install the package nss-mdns but get unable to locate package despite I find it should be available for bullseye. I installed libnss-mdns and checked that the required files are in `/lib/libnss_mdns*

What is missing? How to debug?


1 Answer 1


with much confusion of what applies to the current debian 11 (bullseye) solution. I found that I had not installed bind9 (but just the related specific packages) and needed to

systemctl enable named-resolvconf

I guess the defaults for nsswitch.conf was ok. with named-resolvconf running. dig did not return any hint to rpz as before. However, I need not run

systemctl status systemd-networkd
systemctl status systemd-resolved

which return both disabled; inactive. I saw some hints these might be necessary, but likely with another configuration.

It is perhaps important to differentiate between resolvconf and systemd-resolved which do somewhat similar things, but are not compatible. My solution seems to be relying on resolvconf and bind9.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.