How can I create a partition for the GRUB legacy boot of GPT disks using free sectors between the GPT (33) and the first aligned partition (2048)?
If I already have partitioned all other sectors,
parted will complain that there are no free sectors available.
What I ended up doing was:
- exporting the GPT to a text file using
- adding another partition by manually specifying
- first LBA (34 from 2048)
- partition number
- start sector (34)
- size (2014 sectors)
- GUID (21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649)
- restoring the modified version to the disk
partprobeto refresh the number of available partitions
- changing the partition type (BIOS boot) using
I know it's a hacky workaround, but I couldn't find a way to do it with normal tools without destroying other partitions first.