When I open a new terminal it takes a couple seconds for the shell to load, when I open a new pane or window in tmux it might even take a second longer. The delay is about 3 seconds.
I'm using zsh with oh-my-zsh and the ohmyzsh plugins: git, vi-mode, history-substring-search.
My path looks like:
Previously I had wondered if having a git repo on the path would be problematic. The final location in that path
~/code/bin used to be
~/bin and there was the
.git database inside it. Now the
.git directory is in
~/code (which seems to me like it would prevent the shell from looking through it for executables) but this hasn't delivered any performance improvements.
I don't know any other guess-and-check possibilities, or any logical troubleshooting procedures to perform/investigate.