I installed Kubuntu 20.04, coming from Kubuntu 14.04, and try to migrate my e-mails for kmail. Went with the following approach which is based on https://www.marnel.net/2018/08/migrating-kmail/ and https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/pim/kmail2/clean-start-after-a-failed-migration.html
- Copy the full contents of the mail folders
~/.local/share/local-mailof the old installation to a second partition into the folders
- Forget about all of Akonadi, Baloo or account settings.
- Start Kontact and make a fresh setup for email accounts and identities, plus contacts, calendar and whatever I use.
- Close Kontact completely (File > Quit, or Ctrl+Q) and stop Akonadi with
- Make a link at
external_local-mail.directoryand a link from
- Start akonadi with 'akonadictrl start'.
- Start kontact.
I also tried the process but with not doing step 7, leaving it to kontact.
However, while it seems that kontact/kmail/akonadi is rebuilding the akonadi-database correctly, after a couple of seconds, I get the message
Kmail stoped with: KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now. The error was: Timeout trying to get lock.
and kontact quits.
Considering https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=139044, the command
qdbus | grep Mail gives me
$ qdbus | grep Mail org.freedesktop.Akonadi.MailDispatcherAgent org.freedesktop.Akonadi.NewMailNotifierAgent
I am aware of
- the bug report https://kde-bugs-dist.kde.narkive.com/TG7h1GLS/bug-246027-kmail-stoped-with-kmail-encountered-a-fatal-error-and-will-terminate-now-the-error-was
- the forum post https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=215&t=161955
but they don't provide help.