- Magnetic drive has failed.
- I used ddrescue to recover ~85% of it, with a map file, but the rest is borked and continuing to scrub it would take years.
- I can return it for a replacement.
- I'd like to shred my data first.
- When I try to write to it, it works for the first few hundred MB but then starts pouring input/output errors and the drive becomes completely unavailable (/dev/sdd no longer exists).
So is it possible to use the map file from item 2 to write random data only to the portions of the drive that were recoverable and not attempt to write to the bad blocks?