Some years ago there was a tool called ShortKeys which I used a lot (https://www.shortkeys.com/). The tool replaces given keystrokes with other ones, or even with full text strings (inc multiple lines) etc.

So for example one would type #GB and #GB would be erased and instead it would type God Bless in place of what was there, automatically.

It would be great to have such a tool for Linux. Are you aware of any?

My main use would be console/terminal-based. So for example, working in vi I would type some specific keys which are picked up by some tool and auto-replaced by a specially desired text.

If vi can do something like this natively, that would help too.

1 Answer 1


vi has the option to us abbreviations. In vi, type

:ab hop hoppa, klap, klap

Type hop as a single word (end with space)in

There is a package called autokey, which should be able to do comparable things to what you ask. Never used it tohough.

  • Thank you very much. sudo apt-get install autokey-gtk was all it took. Super. And I assume the vi shortcuts can somehow be included in ~/.vimrc ? Commented Oct 23, 2020 at 23:13
  • Autokey has no Wayland support.
    – user598527
    Commented Aug 31, 2023 at 19:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .