I'm running Manjaro Gnome and installed some updates with the package manager. Since then I keep getting these messages in the console:
manpath: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct (anon):12: character not in range manpath: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
locale gives me this output:
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_CTYPE= LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8 LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8" LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8" LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8" LC_ALL=
When I run
sudo locale-gen I get an error message that files or directories do not exist
Generating locales... de_DE.UTF-8...failed to set locale! [error] cannot open locale definition file `i18n_ctype': No such file or directory
when I comment out
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8 in
/etc/locale.gen (then the only not commented out line is
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8), I get:
Generating locales... en_US.UTF-8...failed to set locale! [error] cannot open locale definition file `en_GB': No such file or directory
This is the content of
de_DE translit_combining en_US translit_compat i18n translit_font iso14651_t1 translit_fraction iso14651_t1_common translit_hangul iso14651_t1_pinyin translit_narrow translit_circle translit_neutral translit_cjk_compat translit_small translit_cjk_variants translit_wide
So it appears that the files
i18n_ctype are indeed missing (although I am not sure if they should be in this folder)
Also, if I go to the Settings -> Region and Language, I cannot change the Language (it says
Unspecified [ANSI_X3.4-1968]. If I click on it, there is nothing to select in the Select Language pop-up.
I found online that the problem could be with
glibc(and according to the history
glibc was reinstalled during the update I ran
[2020-08-11T18:49:33+0200] [ALPM] reinstalled glibc (2.31-5)). However, I do not know how to fix that. There is no reinstall button for glibc in the package manager, and I do not want to do any experiments where I could end up in a bigger mess.
Is there a way to reinstall/reset the language files?
/etc/pacman.conf to save space on the hard drive, like described in the [Arch wiki] (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Tips_and_tricks#Installing_only_content_in_required_languages)
NoExtract = usr/share/help/* !usr/share/help/en* NoExtract = usr/share/gtk-doc/html/* NoExtract = usr/share/locale/* usr/share/X11/locale/* usr/share/i18n/* opt/google/chrome/locales/* NoExtract = !*locale*/en*/* !usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz !usr/share/*locale*/locale.* NoExtract = !usr/share/*locales/en_US !usr/share/*locales/i18n !usr/share/*locales/iso* NoExtract = !usr/share/*locales/trans* NoExtract = !*locale*/de*/* !usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz !usr/share/*locale*/locale.* NoExtract = !usr/share/*locales/de_DE !usr/share/*locales/i18n !usr/share/*locales/iso* NoExtract = !usr/share/*locales/trans* NoExtract = usr/share/qt4/translations/* NoExtract = usr/share/man/* !usr/share/man/man* NoExtract = usr/share/vim/vim*/lang/* NoExtract = usr/lib/libreoffice/help/en-US/*
I wonder if this is part of the problem, maybe when glibc was reinstalled some files were skipped.