I didn't know how to phrase this question better. I hope the following description is clear.
I have Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon installed alongside Windows 10, on a dual-boot system. Between the two OS, I have a shared partition, named
DATA, where I put files that I may need to access from either of the OS. This drive/partition, DATA, is located at
/media/username folder in Linux.
Now, I need to access a remote folder and its subfolders, kept on our server. Let's say, the shared folder is at
//192.168.100.100/OurSharedFolder with several subfolders. I thought to map/mount this remote folder to a location on my DATA drive, more specifically, at
One important detail. The above address and OurSharedFolder are accessible only when I am connected via VPN.
To permanently map this network folder was easy in Windows 10. To do this on Linux, I followed simple steps given at this page, in the "Permanent mount" section. Basically, created and saved a credentials file using
sudo nano /root/.smbcredentials
and also saved the mount path configuration in
//192.168.100.100/OurSharedFolder /media/username/DATA/Projects/MappedFolders cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0
Then I created the
MappedFolders folder at the
/media/username/DATA/Projects/ location. Finally, I executed
This created the desired mounted drive. So far so good.
But the problem started when I changed the name of the MappedFolders folder to SharedFolders.
I changed the physical folder name, as well as the path in the fstab file. Then executed
mount -a again.
It created the mount folder, but automatically, the location of my "Projects" folder, which is inside the shared drive DATA, changed from
I unmounted using the
umount -a -t cifs
DATA1 alias remained.
I changed back the mounted folder's name to
MappedFolders as earlier, and mounted again, and now there is
They all point to
DATA. But it has changed the location of my Projects folder to
In short, for each
umount operation, it created a new shortcut for
The implication is that now the datafiles inside the Projects folder have a new path, and broken links in the files that access those datafiles.
I hope I am clear in my description.