When I open Vim on my laptop and run regex like this:
vim inserts ^@ instead of line breaks.
This problem started happening last week. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.04. I think the problem might have started after Ubuntu installed updates.
Things I've tried
encoding and fileencoding
I tried setting the encoding and fileencoding to utf-8, and then to latin1, but this made no difference.
:lang produces "Current language: "LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_NAME=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_ADDRESS=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_ TELEPHONE=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_MEASUREMENT=es_ES.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=es_ES.UTF-8"
If I call vim with
LC_ALL=C vim foo
then its makes no difference, the problem still occurs.