I recently installed Linux Mint 19.3, and the wifi works for a while after starting the computer up. But after some time, usually a couple hours of continued use, the wireless functionality just stops working, and the only way to get it working again is to do a complete restart.
Relevant system info from inxi:
Network: Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus ID: 03:00.0 IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Running iwconfig yields:
wlp2s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:off/any Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=22 dBm Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:off enp3s0 no wireless extensions. lo no wireless extensions.
Additional info/things I've already tried:
- Wired internet works just fine.
- Restarting NetworkManager doesn't help, even after logging out and then back in. The only thing it changes is that both my network applet and inxi list wireless as up until I reset, at which point the state is down and the network applet says wireless is unavailable.
- I've tried switching kernel versions, specifically to 5.0.0-37, 5.0.0-32, and 4.15.0-72 - the issue persists on all of them.
- Nothing is getting blocked with rfkill (except Bluetooth, which I have turned off):
1: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: no 2: hci0: Bluetooth Soft blocked: yes Hard blocked: no
- I've added the following to iwlwifi.conf to no avail:
options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0 swcrypto=1 11n_disable=8 options iwlwifi power_save=0
- The firmware drivers I have installed for my card are:
iwlwifi-3160-10.ucode iwlwifi-3160-12.ucode iwlwifi-3160-13.ucode iwlwifi-3160-14.ucode iwlwifi-3160-16.ucode iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode iwlwifi-3160-7.ucode iwlwifi-3160-8.ucode iwlwifi-3160-9.ucode
(I tried installing 14 myself, but I assume it's not getting used since it's not the highest version number)
Any advice on how to troubleshoot this further?