I am trying to install Arch Linux alongside Windows 10 (for a dual boot system).
Every time I try to install Arch Linux with KDE Plasma, I can never make it to the desktop. Sometimes, it will make it to the desktop after a fresh install, but after a few boots it will not make it past the display manager, then after that it will not even start the display manager.
I have tried to install Arch countless times, and each time I have:
- Deleted the partitions in windows to erase root, swap, home
diskpartin cmd to 1) clean the usb drive, 2) create a partition, 3) format the disk NOT USING QUICK FORMAT, and lastly I flash the usb drive with the newest version of Arch, 01-01-2020
- I run through the install process, and each time I have tried something different, such as: installing just "plasma-desktop" and not "plasma" with "kde-applications", doing a VERY minimalist install with just pacstrapping base, base-devel, linux, and linux-lts, and I still cannot get a proper install
I have tried to follow other user posts on this issue (which have not worked), such as:
- Deleting any "*.lock" files (they were not there in the first place)
- Starting plasma not using SDDM
The log file,
~/etc/X11/Xorg.conf.d, does not give any errors as far as I can tell for KDE or SDDM.
Once again, KDE Plasma freezes, after I log in from SDDM on Arch Linux, on the splash screen (what you see before the actual desktop)
Here is my list of commands I have used to install Arch:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 useable)
- Integrated: Intel Graphics 630
- Dedicated: GTX 1050 (Mobile)