Question summary: Is there any way to lower the ram usage of ratarmount? What factors affect the ram usage (other than tar size)?
Edit/clarification of question: What method could I use to reduce the resident memory to a minimum?
- I'm using ratarmount to mount massive tar files (800gb is the largest one I have for example).
- I have a server with 6x6tb drives, 20 cores, and 256gb ram.
- I have around 20-25tb of these types of tar files mounted
- With the above amount of tar files mounted, I just hit the max amount of ram on my sever ~250gb
- The tar files have a crazy amount of (possibly hundreds of millions) small files and folders..
My Issue: Ratarmount has now hit 240gb of ram usage for me and its pretty much maxing out my servers ram. I still need to mount another 5-10tb of tar files.
It seems a bit inconsistent with how much ram it uses. For example the first time you mount it will end up using more ram than if it mounts from an index file. Its a bit of a mystery to me of what I can experiment with to make it more inefficient. Open to any ideas. I need to decrease the ram usage by ~25% to finish my project.
Side note... I saw that this user created ratarmount. Its an awesome program that completely saved me, but I have no idea of how to get a hold of him or whats considered the established/acceptable way of reaching someone on here or github