I am writing a bash script that automates installation of TLauncher (Minecraft launcher) and basic dependency management on USBs running Lubuntu 18.04.
Part of the bash script creates a desktop entry under
/usr/share/applications for easy launch from the Lubuntu menu.
Here is the entry I am using:
[Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Exec=pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY /usr/bin/java -jar -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel ~/.minecraft/tlauncher.jar Icon=~/.minecraft/icons/default.png Type=Application Terminal=false Name=Minecraft GenericName=minecraft StartupNotify=false Categories=Game
pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY /usr/bin/java -jar -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel ~/.minecraft/tlauncher.jar works and does launch TLauncher if run in the terminal. However, I feel I am missing something when I put the command in the Desktop Entry.
When I try to open the entry from the Lubuntu menu, the cursor shows that something is loading, but then nothing happens no matter how long I wait. I am also not sure how to debug the Desktop entry. I tried to
xdg-open the entry, but I got no output in the terminal and nothing happened either -i.e, TLauncher did not launch.
I tried putting the command in a separate bash file that looks like:
#!/bin/bash pkexec env DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/home/me/.Xauthority /usr/bin/java -jar -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.nimbus.NimbusLookAndFeel ~/.minecraft/tlauncher.jar
Running that in the terminal
bash testscript.sh works and does launch TLauncher.
But when I put it in the desktop entry replacing the
exec from the entry above like so:
It does not work.
The shell scripts have the proper permissions.
I feel like either I'm writing the Desktop Entry's
exec value wrong or that
pkexec isn't supposed to work from a Desktop Entry the way I am trying to make it work.
I would like to be able to launch TLauncher from a desktop entry via the menu and have a gui popup asking for the password in order to have the command run as
Using full paths instead of
~ also yields the same result -i.e, it does not work and the above issues remain.
Terminal=true does not solve this for me.