I finished installing everything:
- Boot up QEMU with the USB key accessible
- Write to USB key as partition table format GPT
- Make 261MiB ESP using parted (VFAT, FAT32)
- Make a blank partition with a ext4 filesystem (100% of the remaining space)
- Pacstrap Arch on the second partition
- Configure Arch (date/time mainly, fstab stuff)
- Install GRUB2 onto the EFI partition
- Bless the EFI partition
I tried to reboot into Arch from my Mac and also from a Windows computer (I don't know what version, sorry), but it never appeared as a bootable partition (I just saw "Macintosh HD" as the only option, I mean).
As far as I can tell, the problem is that I am missing all of my efivars. Supposedly, their location is meant to be at
/sys/firmware/efi but (after
ls /sys/firmware gives me only
acpi devicetree dmi memmap qemu_fw_cfg.
Here is a list of all of the commands that I did in order, up until I started trying to solve my
efivars crisis: here.
Since then, I tried installing rEFInd (
efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/vda --part 1 --loader /EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi --label "rEFINd Boot Manager" --verbose), which installed properly, but didn't seem to help much. I tried
modprobe efivars and
modeprobe efivar per this recommendation, and it told me "FATAL: Module efivar not found in directory
Here is the profile of my Mac, if it helps: