I am on Arch Linux for Raspberry pi. Suddenly:

  1. I am unable to ping to a website.
  2. I am unable to access a website from the browser.

I have two more computers (all running Arch Linux) connected to the internet, where I can ping and use the internet. Also, the /etc/resolv.conf is same in the other computers:

search domain.name

I can use VNC. I can also ping to When trying to access duckduckgo on chromium I get:

This site can’t be reached
duckduckgo.com’s server IP address could not be found.

What's wrong?

  • Can you ping Can you establish a network connection to it on port 53 (nc -z 53)? Same two questions for the other IP addresses. – DopeGhoti May 10 at 15:53
  • Yes, I can ping to and the other two IP addresses . But there's a problem running netcat. I don't really have netcat installed - and I can't access the internet to install netcat. – S.Goswami May 10 at 15:57
  • My laptop is one the same network - from which I am posting this question. Which has the same resolv.conf file. – S.Goswami May 10 at 16:04
  • Do you have telnet? You can use that as an alternative to nc. – DopeGhoti May 10 at 16:10
  • 1
    Other network services can sometimes override what you have specified in resolv.conf. Check to see if any of these services are running: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/… – Brad Johnson May 10 at 17:35

I've just had problem with same effects. Check if time is set properly. DNSSEC seems to be enabled by default and blocking requests due to "expired" certificates.

Some other problems related to this can be diagnosed with journalctl -u systemd-resolved -b -0.

  • Thank you for the suggestion. I kept my pi with the broken internet connection (DNS look up error?) and didn't fix it. But today I turned it on... The time is Ok indeed. And I don't know why it's working fine!!! It's super weird. – S.Goswami May 27 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.