I have a PC with a serial interface and I would like to run GNU/Linux on it using a serial console (this would spare me attaching a screen and a keyboard to it since I would like to use it as a server).
I have been running tests with Devuan (sysvinit) and Artix (openrc) and got the following to work:
- GRUB uses the serial console and I can select the boot option from there.
- In both distributions, the kernel output goes to the serial console.
- In Devuan I have a terminal on the serial console: I have added the entry
T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt220to
- I have no serial terminal on Artix / openrc. All the documentation I have found on openrc says that I should edit
/etc/inittab, but there is no
inittabon my system and, AFAIK,
inittabis ignored by the latest versions of
openrc. So, question 1: How can I activate a serial terminal with
openrc, possibly with the above parameters (
- On both systems, the init system does not use the serial console. I need this because I must to enter the passphrase for an attached encrypted disk. So, question 2: How do I enable the serial console for