I just purchased a HiDPI monitor and though I've been able to fix the bulk of problems following the Arch HiDPI guide, there are still many problems to fix and I can't identify some of the desktop elements so I can theme them properly.

I've been using the program GTKInspector to find css elements in various GTK apps so I can edit the theme, but I can't figure out how to do the same for for my xfce desktop. In GTKInspector you can drag a cross-hair (Widget Selector) over an element in a program and you can then see the GTK tree, along with the css elements so you can know what the element is called and hence you can override it in a custom gtk.css file.

enter image description here

I've tried launching xfce4-panel with debugging enabled, (Which is how you enable GTKInspector for a program) but it just won't work for xfce4-panel itself.

GTK_DEBUG=interactive xfce4-panel -r &

Is there a way to use GTKInspector on xfce4-panel, or another tool that would identify the existing theming elements? For example, I'd like to make the icons larger in the windows list.

enter image description here

  • I don't understand the question but you can try to ask here : forum.xfce.org/index.php – ctac_ Feb 15 at 15:18
  • Sorry if that wasn't clear. I've edited the question to hopefully be more descriptive. – akovia Feb 15 at 17:48
  • I don't use GTKInspector at all so i don't know, that's why i give you a link to the forum of developper team of xfce. They can certainly help for what you search on xfce. You can try in the applications menu --> Settings --> Settings Manager --> Panel --Display --> Row Size (pixels): and increment the value – ctac_ Feb 15 at 18:12
  • Thanks for the reply. The row size affects everything proportionally, so it doesn't help to get the icon size larger alone. I thought I was just missing a simple trick or tool that was GTK-centric and not desktop specific. – akovia Feb 15 at 19:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.