Following the 02/09 Tumbleweed update my DNS seems to be broken.
My wifi icon in top right has a question mark,
ping google.com returns
Name or service not known, but
nslookup google.com correctly returns the IP address. If I go to Google's IP address in Firefox I get the message
We can't connect to the server at www.google.com. so it is being resolved somehow.
I can ping
I've tried all the other answers I can see for related issues but none have worked for me. My
search MYDOMAIN nameserver IP1 nameserver IP2
where IP1 & 2 are my companies addresses.
I've tried changing
nsswitch.conf and reduced the
hosts line to
files dns (removing the mdns4 bit).
If I force Google's DNS then it still doesn't work, i.e. if I try
nslookup google.com 188.8.131.52 it fails, and if I go into NetworkManager and add
184.108.40.206,220.127.116.11 to DNS in IPv4 settings for my Wifi then it still doesn't work.