Is there a command line tool that let one select an area with pointer and print the result to terminal?

Much like with various screen capture tools, but I want the coordinates.

For example x,y,width,height or rect structure as in left,top,right,bottom

  • are you talking about capturing text? – jsotola Feb 12 at 2:26
  • You should use scrot. (No, I'm not making that name up). – pizdelect Feb 12 at 7:52
  • Are you talking about gpm a mouse cursor for the command line? It allows you to select a text area and paste the result to the terminal using the middle button. – Luciano Andress Martini Feb 13 at 10:53
  • Please edit your question and clarify are you trying to capture the contents of a terminal or part of the graphics screen, if graphics what is your specific environment? If terminal in which program are you using, vi, emacs, bash prompt , ... ? – X Tian Feb 13 at 11:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.