Linux Mint Rosa dual boot with windows 10 Nvidia GTX 870M
Suddenly can't get to Linux Mint gui after running a package update to upgrade python. Everytime I login it kicks me back out. flashing this message quickly in the screen
speech dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher saned disabled: edit /etc/default/saned restoring resolver state
it does not (freeze) as in the majority of other posts with this message it flashes and kicks me back to the login. There is another message that flashes very quickly after I pick an OS from grub but it is so fast it cannot be caught even with a camera. I can however get in through command line
Output from xsession-error
Stuff I've tried
- running endless varients of package repair and package install command lines
- installing and uninstalling virtualbox, virtualbox-dkms etc 2b: going down a rabbithole trying to get virtualbox-dkms to build and to get an outside version of virtualbox on the system
- creating a test account to try to login
- logging in with all the older kernels avaliable under the grub menu.
- logging into the commandline and then trying startx or start mdm (startx brings me to a black screen with a mouse pointer)
- Removing nvidia
EDIT: I ended up settling on the workaround of installing xfce over it and so far it seems to have worked. I still have no idea what the problem was and things might be out of place here or there but is a lot better than nothing.