I am replacing the old GPU Quadro FX 580 running on Nouvea drivers on Debian 9.5.
I am going to install NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI GPU possibly with the latest Nvidia propriatery drivers (currently these are NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-410.66)
My current kernel version is
$cat /proc/version Linux version 4.9.0-8-amd64 (firstname.lastname@example.org) (gcc version 6.3.0 20170516 (Debian 6.3.0-18+deb9u1) ) #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u6 (2018-10-08)
Loaded nouveau modules:
$ lsmod | grep nouveau nouveau 1556480 4 mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveau wmi 16384 2 mxm_wmi,nouveau video 40960 1 nouveau ttm 98304 1 nouveau drm_kms_helper 155648 1 nouveau drm 360448 7 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 nouveau button 16384 1 nouveau
Some additional info :
$ inxi -Gx Graphics: Card: NVIDIA G96GL [Quadro FX 580] bus-ID: 05:00.0 Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa) Resolution: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV96 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
My question is how to prepare the whole operation in order to go smoothly through whe upgrade process:
What steps should be taken before I take out the old GPU and inster the new one, e.g.
What configuration files should I backup
- Should I install some packages first
- Should I uninstall some packages
- Should I update configuration files
- Should I update blacklists
- Should I update the kernel
What steps should be taken after the installation of the new GPU.
- Should I install the drivers from NVIDIA site by running their .run file or rather install the older version drivers from debian repository
- Will the desktop environment (XFCE) run on Nouvea drivers after reboot before new drivers are installed?
I have found NVidia GTX 1080 installation on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS step-by-step guide but It relates to Ubintu 16.04 which is running different kernel, also not a TI version, so not sure if I won't run in some issues by following its steps.