I'm thinking of running a file server on Raspberry Pi with two USB flash memories. Should I
umount every time I execute the backup? I mean, is the
umounted USB more durable than
mounted USB (in terms of power, temperature, etc...)?
- I use
rsyncto backup files.
- Since I use a script,
- Total file size is just around 5GB and the actual size transferred is from 100KB to 100MB.
- On average, I execute the backup 2-3 times a day.
- The server does never shutdown.
- The USBs are used only for the backup and have the same contents like mirroring.
- I understand the fragility of USB memory. (Actually I backup files to many places. The file server I'm planning to make is just a sub-system.)
I would like to take the safer option. I'm glad to get any advice. Thank you.