I have heard that DNS configuration can only be IP address and not host name. How do I configure DNS server in ubuntu machine.
If it should be IP address only then why this configuration shows the host name.
The /etc/resolv.conf says that it is auto-generated and shouldn't be handwritten. # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8) # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN nameserver 127.0.1.1 search zebra.global.vpz
I am looking for the equivalent tools in Ubuntu.
Here are the windows networking tools -
1) ipconfig /all - this shows all the things like MAC Address, Adapter name, DHCP lease time, DHCP renew time, DNS server.
What is the equivalent in linux Ubuntu - I understand ifconfig but ifconfig doesn't give that many information.
2) ipconfig/release - this is to release the ip address. what's the equivalent in ubuntu?
3) ipconfig/renew - this is to renew the ip address. What's the equivalent in ubuntu?
4) ipconfig /flushdns - this is to flush the cached dns. What's the equivalent in ubuntu?
5) arp -d to flush the arp cache. What's the equivalent in ubuntu?