I am currently trying to find a solution to make my HiDPI Laptop screen work with an ultrawide non-HiDPI as an external monitor on GNOME. I have read a lot and what I understand about the basic concept is: Create a virtual large desktop and "place" both monitors with acceptable scalings on it.
But when I set the framebuffer with
xrandr the complete desktop breaks and it only shows vertical/horizontal fragments.
- GNOME set to scaling factor of 2
- Notebook with 2560x1440 at 1.25x1.25 scaling
- External with 3440x1440 at 2x2 scaling placed at the top left of the NB screen
- Scaled NB display should be 3200x1800
- Scaled ext. display should be 6880x2880
- = Framebuffer of 10080x2880
xrandr --output DP1-1 --auto --scale 2x2 --pos 0x0 --output eDP1 --auto --scale 1.25x1.25 --pos 6880x1080 --fb 10080x2880
Is my command missing something important or what am I doing wrong?