I'm not so new to Linux in general, but I am new to Arch. I've installed it twice (the first time on an HDD, just to try while waiting for the SSD to be delivered to me, the second time, a few days after, on the SSD), with i3 and other programs in order to have a usable desktop environment. By the way, my choices were based on the match between my taste (Vim-addicted) and pure readings of the official Arch wiki pages.
At the moment there's one thing that is annoying me tremendously: when I open Spotify (installed from AUR, trough
aurman -S) or Qutebrowser (official, through
sudo pacman -S) and, possibly, other applications, either from the terminal
urxvt or through
rofi, I experience a complete "freeze" of the keyboard which lasts for as long as fifty seconds (!), while the mouse still interacts perfectly with the environment. For instance, I can do this funny thing:
- Open Spotify, then
- Keep doing anything on the keyboard with the left hand, e.g.
- keep pressing
2alternatively and frenetically with a finger while holding down
$mod, which is
Altin my case, with the thumb,
- or randomly press letter keys while in a text box in the browser or in the innocent terminal
- or, just to be clear about what I've tried, pressing my angry cat on the whole keyboard
- keep pressing
- In the meanwhile, use the right hand to successfully move from one workspace to another with the mouse (using the numbered icons in the bottom-left part of the screen), and interact with any mouse-interactive stuff (next song, raise volume, change audio output in
pavucontrol, ...). Obviously, should I move to a workspace with a full-screened program, I would be stuck in that workspace until those long fifty (more or less) seconds pass by.
- The keyboard starts working again and it is as I never pressed those keys (e.g. if I was pressing letters while in the terminal, those "past" letters do not appear).
The keyboard is a wireless Logitech K270 (with the wireless M185 mouse from the same box) with a USB receiver, but I honestly don't know what other details I could provide, so please ask me. (I don't really think that the filesystem could play any role in the matter but, should I be wrong, it's
My motherboard is a X399 Aorus Gaming 7, and has
- 1 x white USB 3.1 Gen 1 Port (from the user's manual, while it's labeled as USB 3.0 BIOS on the I/O shield, since it's the Q-Flash port aimed at flashing the BIOS)
- 5 x blue USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports (from the user's manual, while they're labeled as USB 3.0 on the I/O shield)
- 2 x yellow USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports (from the user's manual, while it's labeled as USB 3.0 DAC-UP on the I/O shield)
- 1 x red USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A Port (from the user's manual, while it's labeled as USB 3.1 on the I/O shield)
The 9 ports are disposed in couples as in (letters = colors)
YY WB BB BB R