I started playing Necromancer from Vulnhub (CTF). It was working just fine. I set the network adapter to bridged mode and I was able to capture every flag up to the point where I had to exploit SNMP. In other words, working as expected.
snmpwalker wasn't working the way I expected. A bit of troubleshooting determined that I couldn't even ping the host from my Kali VM or even my main Windows box.
I ran the
arp-scan -l from my Kali VM and the IP that displayed on the DHCP lease in OpenBSD appeared in my arp-scan.
However, I do know my ARP list doesn't always update. One of my machines had appeared twice but it's still worth noting.
- I updated VirtualBox and it's respective extension packs
- Uninstalled Necromancer VM and deleted all files
- Re-downloaded the OVA and re-imported into VirtualBox
- Logged into Router. My Windows box says I have 3 clients running which makes sense (Windows, Kali VM, Necromancer VM)
- Installed Necromancer as a VM on my 2 laptops. No difference.
- Switched virtual adapters on all my VM's and Necromancer to Host-Only-Mode with the same adapter and repeated the steps above
- Brought one of the laptops to a coffee shop router to see if I could ping it. No luck. I can ping myself so there really should be no issue. But then again their router may have settings to prevent it. I don't know I didn't set it up.
What I can infer from this is that it IS connecting and it IS obtaining a valid IP address but something is preventing it from being pinged let alone scanned. Again, this is with MULTIPLE computers on MULTIPLE networks? What can I do to further isolate or resolve this problem? I want to finish the game.