I have a 21:9 monitor. In every single linux distro 2560x1080resolution doesn't work for me. Why? My GPU is really old. I fixed it in antergos(arch-based distro!) by installing a package called linux49 from manjaro repository and by setting radeon.hdmimhz=372 in kernel options. After that I was able to select the 2560x1080 resolution. Solus isn't arch-based so maybe someone has an idea how can I fix my issue? I know for sure that adding a custom resolution in xrandr resizes the screen, but it's very blurry and unusable.

GPU: Radeon HD 6870

  • change the distro – DZDomi May 5 '18 at 23:22
  • 1
    not so funny after hearing it for the 100th time when I'm not using arch – erzis May 5 '18 at 23:23
  • The obvious way is to find out whatever was in the linux49 package, esp. wrt. radeon drivers, write down the version and/or patches they used to built these, and do the same on Solus, either by looking through the repositories, or by compiling it yourself. Yes, this is a lot of work, and you need to know how to compile stuff yourself. But it's better than guessing, installing random stuff and crossing fingers, or complaining it doesn't work. On Linux you can do stuff like this yourself. – dirkt May 6 '18 at 6:07
  • @DZDomi We usually don't recommend anyone to change the distribution in here. Stop that, please. – Vlastimil May 6 '18 at 6:44
  • some people dont have a sense of humor ;) – DZDomi May 6 '18 at 8:36

Radeon HD 6870 specification

Max Resolution Details DVI: 2560 x 1600 / DisplayPort: 2560 x 1600 / HDMI: 1920 x 1080 / VGA: 2048 x 1536


Neither VGA, nor HDMI < version 2.0 are not capable of delivering such a resolution.

You need to connect through DisplayPort in order to do that.

  • So DVI-HDMI should work? – erzis May 9 '18 at 19:57
  • No. I said your version of HDMI output is limited to 1080p. – Vlastimil May 10 '18 at 2:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.