What I have:
Solus OS install with an encrypted LVM2 on a 56G SSD w/o swap - works pretty good. I have 32G RAM, so swap isn't an issue right now - it's my future main rig and it is mainly intended to being used as desktop for office, web, daw and rust programming (not everything at the same time).
What I want to do:
Add two 1T hds formatted with btrfs in a raid 1 configuration to the actual lvm2 volume group and they should contain /home (with all the stuff that's being already there) and being mounted as /home during boot so that I'll have 1T space for /home with software mirroring. The raid level 1 has to be for data and metadata.
/home should stay encrypted with the already used key phrase. Also I'd like to mount the btrfs' with -o compression-force that has to be done in fstab and fscrypt. I'm currently unsure whether it was fscrypt or something else sounding similar.
What I've understood so far:
- create the btrfs raid
- copy everything from /home to the temporary mounted /home-btrfs
- do some magic to get: /home on ssd gone, unmount /home-btrfs add btrfs-raid to the volume group and mount the btrfs-raid as /home - everything is encrypted again, but with more space
Is there anybody who can explain it to me? I'm unsure that I understood it well enough to get started. I am not afraid of the terminal or any cli. I've just decided to opt out of the vendor lock-in of Windows 10 and go for Linux. And I know that I'll get some performance hits with that config but that is okay for me.
My plan is currently to do this:
- gparted will create a partition table (gpt) and format /dev/sdb1 with btrfs
- open the terminal/shell
- sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /home-btrfs
- copy everything frome /home to /home-btrfs with cp -var /home /home-btrfs
- gparted will create a partition table (gpt) on /dev/sdc -> /dev/sdc1
- btrfs device add /dev/sdc1 /home-btrfs
- btrfs fi balance start -mconvert=raid1,soft -dconvert=raid1,soft /home-btrfs
- open a second shell to watch the raid conversion progress
- btrfs filesystem balance status /home-btrfs
- btrfs balance start -dusage=0 -musage=0 /mnt/btrfs (get rid of empty chunks)
- I'm stucked because now I could not get to fit lvextend, pvcreate, vgextend and other things from lvm2 into my plan.
I apologize my bad grammar. And yes I've spend quite a lot of time with the search function here and Google but couldn't find the answers I need.