I have a fresh Arch installation, running the latest kernel. I'm using systemd-boot, Xorg, GDM and Gnome.

Everything runs smoothly so far. The only issue I have is with my Decklink Card. The driver for it only works until Kernel 4.14. (see this)

To resolve this, I would like to have the LTS-Kernel installed alongside and be able to choose on bootup via the systemd-boot menu, which kernel to load.

Following this, I installed the LTS-Kernel (but didn't remove the current one) I duplicated the original boot-entry and changed the "linux" and "initrd" parameters to point to /vmlinuz-linux-lts and initramfs-linux-lts respectively.

So far so good, but here (finally) comes the issue: - The system starts with both Kernels, but the LTS-Version doesn't launch the Graphical Interface. (It still works when I start it with the latest Kernel)

On tty1 all the green [ OK ] run through but then the system just stops with a blinking cursor. But I cannot type anything. (I can login on another tty, no problem there)

To clarify it does output the following:

[  OK  ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
[  OK  ] Reached target Graphical Interface.

What am I missing here? What prevents the UI from showing up, since all seems... [ OK ] ?

  • Are both kernel command lines identical? Check with cat /proc/cmdline
    – aquaherd
    Mar 23 '18 at 17:36
  • Except for one pointing to initramfs-linux-lts.img, they are identical. (Copy-pasted the boot entry and inserted "-lts")
    – michaelh
    Mar 23 '18 at 18:55
  • Does this help? bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234087
    – pfnuesel
    Mar 24 '18 at 16:37
  • Thanks for the link. I have actually come across the linked thread and tried the solution before posting my question. No success there.
    – michaelh
    Mar 25 '18 at 1:29
  • Doing further testing, I believe, this is an issue with Xorg's configuration. When I try to start it manually, I get weird flickering. I had the same, when I messed up the xorg.conf while running the latest Kernel. So I couldn't get any UI at all. But I also found out that Blackmagicdesign have updated their driver! So, long story short, I rebuilt the whole thing. No workaround needed. Everything is running smootly. :) Still interested in why this wouldn't work, in case this comes up again.
    – michaelh
    Mar 25 '18 at 1:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.