I am looking for a commandline-tool that provides me functionality for local udating single files. So I am not talking about remotely updating a bunch of servers. But update some files and have an easy way to go back.
- define files (like a manifest-file) to pack
- packaging the defined files into one single archive
- unpack that files and overwrite original files if necessary
- backup all files that have been overwritten
- restore the overwritten files if necessary
I think tar or some package-managers can do that but I am not sure about the possibility of going back.
That all is not too difficunt to code it but maybe it is already here.