On my laptop I have Linux Mint 18.3 installed and right now I am experiencing the following problem:
As a German I happen to have some files (or directories) that contain umlauts in their names (which in itself is not the problem). If I now try to open those files (e.g. PDFs) that either contain an umlaut or are located in a (sub-)directory whose name contains an umlaut it won't open.
For example I have a directory named
Übungsblätter and somewhere in that dir I have a few PDF files. If I try to open one of those files from the file manager Okular will tell me it can't open
.../ÃbungsblÃ¤tter/... which shows me that it messed up the path by replacing the umlauts with some weird characters.
However if I have Okular opened and use its menu to open the respective file everything works like charm so the problem does only occur when trying to open the files from my file manager (Dolphin).
Furthermore I experienced that I can't type in umlauts in my terminal. I found this question dealing with that specific problem and I hoped that would fix the file-issue as well. However that was not the case although I am now able to type in umlauts in the terminal (though when typing in an umlaut it will insert two characters. For example when typing in
ö it will insert the two characters
\udcc3\udcb6 (found out by typing in
ö and hitting return afterwards). It does get displayed as a single
ö though but I have to explicitly delete two characters in order for the command line to be empty again.
Here's the output of
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_TIME=nds_DE.UTF-8 LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8" LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_ALL=
I just found out that when opening the respective PDF from the terminal it will also error in a similar way as when opening from the file manager but this time it says it can't open
.../bungsbltter/... (It completely removes the umlauts)
C C.UTF-8 de_DE.utf8 en_AG en_AG.utf8 en_AU.utf8 en_BW.utf8 en_CA.utf8 en_DK.utf8 en_GB.utf8 en_HK.utf8 en_IE.utf8 en_IN en_IN.utf8 en_NG en_NG.utf8 en_NZ.utf8 en_PH.utf8 en_SG.utf8 en_US.utf8 en_ZA.utf8 en_ZM en_ZM.utf8 en_ZW.utf8 POSIX