I've filmed this to get a better idea of what I'm on about:
But this happened quite a few months ago, and I was optimistically hoping for a software solution rather than spending £X00 getting it fixed. What happens is:
- On boot, the Dell splash screen works fine.
- The purple Ubuntu loading screen works fine.
- Then the screen briefly switches off as usual, but when it tries to display the login screen, the backlight comes on, but it stays black/grey, while any external displays will correctly function.
Things I've tried:
- Booting from a live Ubuntu USB: same thing; screen works up until login stage then the black/grey backlight is displayed.
- Upgrading Ubuntu. This was previously 16.04, but has been upgraded to 17.04 in an attempt to fix this issue.
- Toggling all options of extended/mirrored displays, unplugging the external monitor, then rebooting, etc. No difference.
- Changing pretty much every Display setting I can find in Ubuntu's standard menus.
Model: Dell XPS 13 (Developer Edition from 2016)
OS: Was Ubuntu 16.04, now 17.04
Random note: maybe 3/4 uses after the first time this happened, it did randomly start working for about 2 uses, which implies to me that it's most likely a hardware issue with the screen.
Hopefully this is enough info to get some opinions.