I have a small IoT device that I am trying to program. When I plug it into my Mac, an interface pops up under ifconfig and I can ssh into it at address 192.168.225.1. Unfortunately, I need to reflash the firmware on it, and the firmware update only runs on Linux.
My process for enabling on Linux for other IoT devices has been as follows:
- Enable the usb device under Devices->USB->USB Settings
- Connect the Device
- See the device pop up under Devices->USB and lsusb
- An interface appears on ifconfig, and I can ssh into the device
This process works for similar IoT devices of mine and allows me to ssh into the device. For this device, every step of this works except no interface comes up for me to ssh into the board. I'm not very familiar with serial communications, so my questions are:
- what is a good thing to research to try to solve this problem?
- What does the OS really have to do in order to establish this data connections?
- What solutions can I try to remedy this issue?
E: Adding more information!
I am using Sierra's Mangoh Red WP76. I can ssh into WP75 and WP85 models but not WP76, except on my mac side. @Mark, I am running VirtualBox with Ubuntu 16.04