At the end of last week one of my colleagues noticed something strange on one of our shared compute servers.
We have a directory which
ls -l shows as containing a file which is 132G in size.
df -h shows that the total amount of space used on the disk as 128G. Additionally running
du -h --max-depth=1 on the root of the drive also reports 128G for
Initially I wondered whether this issue might be as a result of open file handles or similar causing these binaries to report different information. However, I have tired unmounting and remounting the disk and all binaries report the same results as before.
To give a bit more information on the configuration of the drive:
- The volume is formatted using EXT4 on top of LUKS encryption.
- The disk is not shared via NFS or similar.
- I have check the file in question and it does not appear to be linked.
- When unmounting and remounting the volume I forced a disk check, by running
fsck -fon the volume, and no issues were returned.
- The server the disk is located on isn't a virtualisation host and is running Ubuntu 14.04 as the OS.