I have a fresh install of Raspbian on a raspberry pi 3. It boots fine, and I am able to perform any function that I can think of with one exception: any attempt to install or remove a package results in the error "Files list file for package 'qdbus' is missing final newline". Indeed the file at /var/lib/dpkg/info/qdbus.list is full of garbage.
What I tried so far:
- Adding a newline to the file.
- $sudo apt-get clean - did nothing.
- Delete qdbus.list - a different file is indicated as corrupted, I got as far as deleting about 25 files before things like ssh stopped working and I had to re-install the OS.
- Reinstall the OS from a fresh, hash-checked download of the latest version
- $sudo dpkg --configure -a - did nothing.
Any help would be appreciated.