I am running a home server with Debian 8.
The hard disk started to show some signs of failure and I am planning to replace it.
I am planning to just use
df commands in order to clone the content of the old hard drive on the new drive (using a live linux from USB).
However, I have some questions before I proceed:
- Is it ok to clone a HDD with damaged sectors to a healthy HDD?
- Is the system going to boot normally if I use the procedure mentioned before?
- The root partition on the healthy drive, once cloned, will still be of the same size of the old drive. Can I expand it?
- Will the new hard drive be mounted on the same mountpoint (now it is on /dev/sdk)?
- Do you have any suggestion or better procedure?