Today morning I was browsing the internet with Chromium and it closed out of nowhere. I went to open it again but it opens very briefly (less than a second) and then it closes back again. This has never happened before.
The only way I can open it back up is by completely deleting
~/.config/chromium/Default. Then I can open it back again but it closes again within a few minutes.
Things I've tried:
- I have purged and reinstalled Chromium
- I have deleted every file that was crated within the time frame that the problem started (from
- I have tried browsing only different websites to see if it's some specific kind of website that triggers it. Apparently the website I am in doesn't make a difference.
For the moment I'm using Chrome, but I really would like to get back to using Chromium.
If I open Chromium with a terminal these are the messages I get (keep in mind that as far as I know the first two messages are normal and happen even when Chromium works):
Gkr-Message: couldn't connect to dbus session bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-FvyymbKhrF: Connection refused (chromium-browser:29177): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Unable to get session bus: Could not connect: Connection refused Received signal 11 SEGV_MAPERR 000000000010 #0 0x7f0dc4dcc425 base::debug::StackTrace::StackTrace() #1 0x7f0dc4dcc80b <unknown> #2 0x7f0dc50f7390 <unknown> #3 0x562a8f85edc8 <unknown> #4 0x562a8f861656 <unknown> #5 0x562a8f861df9 <unknown> #6 0x562a8f862143 <unknown> #7 0x7f0dc4e47821 <unknown> #8 0x7f0dc4dcdeea base::debug::TaskAnnotator::RunTask() #9 0x7f0dc4df6e90 base::MessageLoop::RunTask() #10 0x7f0dc4df897d base::MessageLoop::DeferOrRunPendingTask() #11 0x7f0dc4df983d <unknown> #12 0x7f0dc4dfa300 base::MessagePumpLibevent::Run() #13 0x7f0dc4df5f15 base::MessageLoop::RunHandler() #14 0x7f0dc4e20628 base::RunLoop::Run() #15 0x7f0dc4e4ce36 base::Thread::ThreadMain() #16 0x7f0dc4e47726 <unknown> #17 0x7f0dc50ed6ba start_thread #18 0x7f0dae79c3dd clone r8: 000000000000002e r9: 0000562a912b56ec r10: 0000000000000000 r11: 00007f0dae829f50 r12: 00007f0d23ffcff0 r13: 0000000000000008 r14: 0000000000000008 r15: 00007f0d23ffceb0 di: 0000000000000000 si: 00007f0d23ffceb0 bp: 00007f0d23ffcf00 bx: 00007f0d23ffceb0 dx: 000000000000006b ax: 0000000000000000 cx: 00007f0d0800a790 sp: 00007f0d23ffce60 ip: 0000562a8f85edc8 efl: 0000000000010206 cgf: 002b000000000033 erf: 0000000000000004 trp: 000000000000000e msk: 0000000000000000 cr2: 0000000000000010 [end of stack trace] Calling _exit(1). Core file will not be generated.
I'm using Linux Mint 18.1 with a 4.10 Kernel.
As Faheem Mitha pointed out, this could be a hardware issue, although the fact that the laptop shows no other weird behaviors kind of points to software. I will use
memtest86 when I can.
One other thing that I found out these files are created in
Jul 5 10:02 SingletonSocket -> /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.vibNiB/SingletonSocket Jul 5 10:02 SingletonLock -> NP900X3N-2368 Jul 5 10:02 SingletonCookie -> 1648236092507555754
And the output of
file Singleton* shows that
SingletonCookie: broken symbolic link to 1648236092507555754 SingletonLock: broken symbolic link to NP900X3N-2368 SingletonSocket: symbolic link to /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.vibNiB/SingletonSocket
I don't know if they are important, but the fact that two of those links are broken and that
NP300X3N is my laptop model tell me that they have something to do with the issue.