I just assembled myself a new computer with a quite new motherboard supporting an Intel Kaby Lake processor. This motherboard has a Realtek ALC1220 (S1220A) chipset for audio. After installing Linux Mint 18.1, I unfortunately noticed that the sound is not working. No soundcard is detected at all, whatever I try. The sound configuration just shows a Dummy Device.
user@linux-mint ~ $ aplay -l aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found... user@linux-mint ~ $ lspci -knn | grep -i -A4 Audio 00:1f.3 Audio device : Intel Corporation Device [8086:a2f0] Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8723] Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel 00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:a2a3]
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX H270I GAMING
Audio Chipset: ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
Linux Distro: Linux Mint 18.1
Current Kernel: 4.11.6
What have I tried?
According to https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226579 and Realtek S1220A under Linux Mint 18.1 support for the S1220A chipset was introduced in Linux Kernel 4.11. Linux Mint 18.1 ships with kernel 4.4, but has the option to upgrade to kernel 4.9 through the Update Manager. However, doing so and afterwards reinstalling all the ALSA stuff had no effect, still no audio device detected. Then I decided to install kernel 4.11.6 using UKUU. The installation seems to be completed without errors, and after upgrading GRUB my system boots Mint with the new kernel:
user@linux-mint ~ $ uname -r 4.11.6-041106-generic
There are also reports of people who got the ALC1220 audio chipset working on kernel 4.9.
I have also founds some hints that it could be related to UEFI settings. Being a non-expert on this, I tried disabling UEFI and compatibility / legacy settings before booting my system, however none of this seems to have any effect.
Does someone have any clue how I can get sound on Linux Mint with this chipset?
dmesg | grep snd returns the following:
[ 4.951807] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002) [ 4.951966] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915]) [ 5.079301] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0 [ 5.080811] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: no codecs found!
Following up on @dirkt advise to check the
probe_mask, I have tried:
sudo modprobe -r snd_hda_intel sudo modprobe snd_hda_intel probe_mask=0x1ff
dmesg it does not look like something changes:
[ 374.653091] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: codec_mask forced to 0xff [ 374.653126] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915]) [ 374.763149] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: CORB reset timeout#1, CORBRP = 0 [ 374.764764] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: no codecs found!