Disable all communications on all USB ports for all users (preferably remove power but as I'll point out below I don't think this is possible). I'm currently using Linux Mint 18.
What I Have Tried
- Disabling the power: stackoverflow.com/questions/4702216
- Blacklisting storage devices and removing all users from plugdev: askubuntu.com/questions/153964
- Removing all drivers for USB ports: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1692251
- Searching for a method to turn off via the BIOS. No options available.
- Turning the laptop off and on again after each attempt.
None of the above seemed to work (tested by using a USB mouse & memory stick).
I haven't gotten round to trying the suggestion in unix.stackexchange.com/questions/274203 yet (which might disable keyboards and mice), however, allowing root to subvert blacklists is also not allowed.
I get the feeling that removal of drivers may be the best solution (placing in root for testing at least), but I'd need to know which drivers to target so that I don't break anything else.
I'd kind of prefer not having to get the soldering kit out to make a hardware adjustment if at all possible...