I downloaded Minecraft.jar for my kids. It's on my storage partition which doesn't mount by default. Where should I copy it on my system partition so it can be executed by others? Is it /opt? I don't have user rights there, should the root be the owner?

It is Kubuntu 17.04.

  • 1
    Do your kids have an account of their own on your PC? If so, why not place a copy of the .jar file in their home directory and give them the necessary perms for them to access it? Or you can also create a directory in / and drop it in that new directory
    – ryekayo
    Jun 15, 2017 at 12:26
  • No, just one user account on this PC. I know I can create a new directory eg Games in my home directory but I wanted to do it in a right UNIX/Linux way.
    – Hrvoje T
    Jun 15, 2017 at 12:33

1 Answer 1


See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxFilesystemTreeOverview

For me both options seems good but I'd be inclined to use /opt as it is intended for software only. In /home you can usually find mix of different types of files, not necessary programs.

And being consistent with using /opt for software not managed by package installer will make your future migration to other or newer distribution easier.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .