I was wondering if there is an existing tool/ set of scripts out there that is designed to capture a snapshot of the configuration for one or more Unix/Linux boxes? Obviously, these are expected to be Linux servers.
The most core needs are:
- capture hardware config (CPU, memory, disks etc)
- capture software config (OS, java, etc)
- easily extensible to help capture details of custom software
- snapshot customization (which details to include/ ignore)
- ability to capture / export snapshot details to machine readable/ parseable formats like JSON/ CSV/ etc
I am already aware of Puppet facter but have set that aside (for now) since it has a hard requirement to have Puppet installed.
My core functional need is to be able to produce a periodically refreshing picture of hard+soft-ware configs across all the boxes from a list.
Perhaps I am searching for the wrong terms (on the lines of "linux capture system configuration")?
Any suggestions or pointers? Thanks in advance.