pacman -Syu yesterday and seeing quite a few updates, walked away from the computer while it was doing its thing. When I came back the lock screen had come up, and I was surprised to find that I couldn't login despite entering my password. I should have probably tried switching to TTY but I didn't think of it.
I assumed that the problem would be resolved on a reboot and pressed the reset button. Now Manjaro refuses to boot. Specifically:
- I see the BIOS stuff as usual
- My drive is encrypted, so GRUB asks me for the passphrase as usual
- After decrypting, GRUB menu comes up
- If I choose any of the Manjaro boot options, I see the message from systemd displaying the version, and immediately after the screen starts flashing (looks like it's being turned off and on but the screen is always black)
- The HDD light also flashes occasionally
- At this point the computer is unresponsive and won't react to
Ctrl+Alt+1-7for TTY or even
Ctrl+Alt+Del. I have to hard reset to get out of it.
I am guessing the problem is bad video drivers. I think if I could somehow boot into Manjaro without launching my DE, Cinnamon, I could then tty to rerun the updates (maybe they had failed at some critical point), look at the logs or just tinker with the video drivers until I can get it to work again. However, currently all I have is the GRUB menu.
- Is there something I can type in the GRUB command line (
c) that will tell Manjaro to not load any video or GUI stuff?
- Is there something I can do in the GRUB editor (
e) to make the existing options boot without GUI?
- Could I somehow use a liveCD to get into my installed Manjaro system and run commands from there? For instance if I
chrooted into my HD would I be able to just run
I have seen some recommendations online that suggest editing the GRUB menu and adding various parameters to the
linux command, but my GRUB config file is apparently very complicated, and looks nothing like the examples I saw. I'd paste it here, but I'm not sure how to get it out of my computer. Also, I'm really confused about what keys to use in the GRUB editor.