I'm installing a new system - new hardware, old OS (well, not old; it's Linux Mint 18). My system has on-board Intel graphics (previously it was a Z77 board, now it's Z170), and a discrete GPU - that I do not want to use for my display; but I do need to use it for computation, so I do need nVIDIA's driver in place.
Anyway, there are multiple phases to my story, but let me cut it short:
- Before the HW upgrade, my Cinnamon would crash and load in fallback mode - which I could live with, sort of, since at least the resolution was my monitor's native one - 1920x1080.
- After the HW upgrade, I get the same crash and fallback mode - but now, for some reason, the resolution is limited to 720x400 (or even 640x480? who knows).
- How can I get the higher resolutions back again?
- How can I get Cinnamon to (1) not crash while (2) not using nouveau and (3) having the nVIDIA kernel driver up and (4) not trying to use it?
- I have an extra, old-ish nVIDIA card lying around; will it help if I try to use that somehow, instead of the on-board graphics?
lshw -c VGA results:
*-display description: VGA compatible controller product: GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost] vendor: NVIDIA Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: a1 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0 resources: irq:16 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-e7ffffff memory:e8000000-e9ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff *-display description: VGA compatible controller product: Intel Corporation vendor: Intel Corporation physical id: 2 bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0 version: 04 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pciexpress msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=i915_bpo latency=0 resources: irq:130 memory:f2000000-f2ffffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig # nvidia-xconfig: version 375.39 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-09) Tue Jan 31 20:47:44 PST 2017 Section "ServerLayout" Identifier "Layout0" Screen 0 "Screen0" InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard" InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" EndSection Section "Files" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Mouse0" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "auto" Option "Device" "/dev/psaux" Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no" Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" EndSection Section "InputDevice" # generated from default Identifier "Keyboard0" Driver "kbd" EndSection Section "Monitor" Identifier "Monitor0" VendorName "Unknown" ModelName "Unknown" HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0 VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0 Option "DPMS" EndSection Section "Device" Identifier "Device0" Driver "nvidia" VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation" EndSection Section "Screen" Identifier "Screen0" Device "Device0" Monitor "Monitor0" DefaultDepth 24 SubSection "Display" Depth 24 EndSubSection EndSection