I recently traveled to Canada, and once I arrived my Ubuntu 16.10 laptop started having DNS resolution issues after a couple days when it became confused about what country I was in. Initially I could fix this by flushing my DNS in Chrome, but quickly realized that the issue was with my local device.
I have been back in the U.S. for over a month and my laptop remains confused about what country I am in. Eventually, my network access to websites, package repos, or anything else, becomes blocked due to DNS resolution errors. When I visit Youtube (for example), it always has a "Youtube CA" logo in the upper left.
I can temporarily fix this problem by doing:
sudo systemctl restart dnsmasq sudo systemctl restart dns-clean sudo systemctl restart pppd-dns
However, after anywhere between five minutes to two hours the DNS resolution problems return. I then have to restart services again to fix DNS resolution errors and regain access to websites. It may be interesting to note that some websites become unresolved due to DNS whereas others are still accessible, and it seems random to me which fall in each category.
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8) # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN nameserver 127.0.0.1
/run/dnsmasq/resolv.conf looks like:
nameserver 127.0.1.1 nameserver 127.0.0.53
To answer the questions below, I am connected to the internet via a wired router with Automatic DHCP. However, this problem also occured with multiple WiFi connections I have used since returning from Canada. Both automatic DNS and manual DNS with
22.214.171.124 cause this problem.
Provider seems to be (using
traceroute as requested):
5 be-7725-cr02.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net (126.96.36.199) 12.183 ms 12.324 ms 12.291 ms 6 hu-0-12-0-7-pe01.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net (188.8.131.52) 12.114 ms 9.928 ms 9.847 ms 7 as15169-pe01.56marietta.ga.ibone.comcast.net (184.108.40.206) 35.742 ms 36.479 ms 36.491 ms
I tried the suggestion below of adding
prepend domain-name-servers 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168; to
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf, restarting the device, and flushing the DNS in Chrome, and I am still unable to access websites due to DNS resolution issues.
Just to be clear on what I mean by DNS resolution issues, the error I am receiving is:
This site can’t be reached
www.example.com’s server DNS address could not be found.
Checking the proxy, firewall, and DNS configuration